Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Implant options and would you do it?

My crown recently broke and the tooth underneath was all decayed so there was nothing that could be done but to take it out. So I was wondering what my options are and if you think I should get an implant. The place where the tooth was is not visible when I smile because its in the back. I had an issue with my wisdom teeth when I had the lower ones out the top ones started growing out and hitting my gums I am concerned about this. Whats your input? thanks!

Implant options and would you do it?
Do it...you look like you are young and have plenty of life left in your teeth! The problem with a bridge is that you have to basically destroy the adjacent teeth to the one being fixed to attach the bridge. If you leave the space empty all the other teeth on the opposite arch as well as the teeth next to it will shift around to move in the empty space. This will mess up your bite! So, if you want the best thing, do the implant.
Reply:Implants are great (I have one), provided your body doesn't reject it. Patients have to qualify, or be a good candidate, for an implant. Bone structure and density are what the Docs look for to approve the treatment. To find out if you are a candidate, a panoramic xray will be taken... this is the kind that goes around your head/face area.





The tooth above (below? you didn't specify where the tooth that was extracted was located) the space where the tooth was will start to drift into to area, since there isn't anything to keep it from doing that.





Insurance companies will not cover the cost of an implant, so it's out-of-pocket expenses.. they will cover a portion of the bridge fee.





Best of luck!





:)



Philosophy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive